|Name||Value||Date||Grid Ref||Map Sources||Other forms, comments etc|
|Achadrom etc||See below.|
|Carna/Cama||1½m||1760||Carna(GD44/25/29/2/5 1760 with Glasterbeg – as also in 1762)
= Cam Bhealach? NN 2493?
|Ceann Loch||1½m||1760||NN 2895||Kinloch(GD44/25/29/2/5 1760 with Easter Glaster – also in 1762)|
|Glas-Dhoire||NN 2593||= Easter Glaster? see below.|
|Kilfinnan||3m||1540||NN 2795||3m Killenane(1540), 2m Kilenan(1760)|
|Cullinross||10s||1607||c. NN 280949||Thomson(1830)
|10s=½?(GD44/1/1/9/9/1 1607 & Inverness Retours(106) 1684)?
1m Culross(GD44/25/29/2/5 1760), 1m(1762)
OPS map NE corner Loch Lochy. See below.
|Early references are to Laggan Achdrom
|Pitmaglaster||10s||1607||NN 2896||Thomson(1830)||10s=½?(GD44/1/1/9/9/1 1607 & Inverness Retours(106) 1684)?
1m(GD44/25/29/2/5 1760), 1m(1762), now = Balmaglaster.
|Shian||3m||1607||NN 2996/3095||Thomson(1830)||3m=½?(GD44/1/1/9/9/1 1607 & Inverness Retours(106) 1684)?
|Leitirfearn||13s 4d||1627||NN 3299 to
|E side Loch Oich. 13s 4d (GD44/1/1/9/9/4 of 1627 & GD44/1/1/9/9/5 of 1653 – in both of which it is linked to Glen Turret Beg by Glen Roy).|
|Mandally||NH 2900||Part of 4m Invergarry in 1762 rental|
|Polnonochan||NH 2800||Part of 4m Invergarry in 1762 rental|
|‘Sliosgarbh’||£6 (9m)||1536||Or £10(15m) in 1648? See also below.|
|Gleann Laogh/Glenluie||1½m||1760||NH 2700||Possibly 1m in GD44/1/1/9/9/1 1607|
|Bolinn||1m||1760||NH 2501/2601||1m Boyilley? in GD44/1/1/9/9/1 1607, 1m(1760, 1762)|
|Laddie||1m||1607||NH 2301||Blaeu||1m(1760, 1762)|
|South Ardachy||1½m||1607||NH 2100||1m(1760, 1762)|
|Garrygualach||2m?||1607||NH 1700||1m Easter Gargulloch(1760), 1m Garrigoulach(1762)
Two Groballochies extending to 2m(GD44/1/1/9/9/1 1607)
|Ballachan||1m||1607||c. NN 1198||Roy(PC) 72|
|Bad an t-Seobhaig/ Badenjoig||1m||1760||NN 1299/1399||Roy(PC) 72||1m(1760, 1762), cf Macmillan: Bygone Lochaber pp 89-90|
|Drynachan||1½m||1760||NH 3202||Blaeu||Appears as ‘Lephein & Drinachan’ in Thomson’s map of 1830.|
|NH 2801||Roy(PC) 72||See below.
Usually divided into ‘ard’ and ‘iosal’ (high and low), 2m each.
|Lundie||2m||1760||NH 2903/2904||Blaeu, Gordon(5)|
|Delchumie||1768||Pendicle of Lundie in NLS MS1313 1768,
= Dail a’ Chuirn (NH 3105)?
|Allt leth-bheinne||(½d)||NH 3202||Thomson(1830)||Ault Lephein(Thomson)|
|Munerigie||2m||1760||NH 2602||Blaeu, Roy(PC)72||Manerach(Roy), Mondrew(1760), Moneregie(1762)|
|Achadh-Luachrach||2m||1760||NH 2503||Blaeu, Roy(PC)72||2m(1760, 1762)|
|Daingean||2m||1760||NH 2303||2m(1760, 1762)|
|Ardochy||1½m||1760||NH 2002/2102||Blaeu, Roy(PC)72|
|Ardnabie||1m||1760||c. NH 2002||Roy(PC)72|
|(Leac) Doire Lochaidh||½m||1760||NH 0602||Thomson(1830)|
|Leac na Fearna||1760||NG 9701||No value given in 1760|
|Glen Quoich||1760||NH 0206||Sheilings but no value given in 1760.|
Achadrom (field of the ridge) is the name given to the low-lying land between Loch Lochy and Loch Oich. That it was a name known far and wide is shown by the notes in Macfarlane’s Geographical Collections vol II p 169 which probably derive from Timothy Pont’s work in the 1580s and 1590s:
And it is alleadgit be ancient men that this Achadron is the midst of Scotland in lenth. And there is one stone in a plaine ground in the stray which stands. and it is called the stone of the Ridge of Scotland And so the strath is named the mid part of Scotland. The sea doeth flow Northeast throwgh this strath and southwest.
Sir Arthur Mitchell (the editor) adds a footnote from the MS:
Achadron is the country betwixt Lochoich and Lochlohy there is a litle burn fra the hill syde that divides, one branch runs to the Westsea into Lochlohy and the other branch runs to the Eastsea through Lochoich.
p 523 offers a similar summary:
Ther is a little Strath betwixt the head of Loch-Lochy, and another small fresche water Loch called Loch-Eawich [Loch Oich], this strath is scarce one myl of length and not the eicht part of a myl in breadth, it is call’d Achadrome supposed be the people therabout to be the middle part of Scotland be the length. there is a stone in a playne in this Strath, cal’d the stone of the rigg of Scotland
These quotations make clear the significance of Achadrom to early geographers. It was a defining point for watersheds.
By extension the name Achadrom came to include properties along the banks of Loch Lochy and, at one time or another, all the following were said to be ‘in Achadrom’: Carna or Cama, Glasterbeg, Kinloch & Easter Glaster, Kilfinnan, Cullinross, Laggan, Pitmaglaster (now Balmaglaster) and Shian.
Cullinross, Pitmaglaster and Shian
Cullinross, Pitmaglaster and Shian were reckoned as part of 40m Dochanassie in 1600. Shian was probably rated at 3m, the others at 1m each.
Sliosgarbh & Sleismene
Slios = side, garbh = rough, min = smooth. Slios + garbh = the rough side; Slios + min = the smooth side. The Sliosgarbh was the side south of Loch Garry, rough perhaps because the hills were higher. The same two names apply to the sides of Loch Beoraid, south of Loch Morar.
The pennyland assessment survived in place-names until 1830. Thomson’s map has ‘Ault Lephein’ instead of what is now Allt Leth-bheinne and nearby he marks ‘Lephein & Drinachan’.
Glas Dhoire Mor was further down the West bank of Loch Lochy (NN 2391) and part of the Lochiel estate. Glas Dhoire Beag (NN 2492) was within the Glengarry estate and is marked SW of the present Glas Dhoire (NN 2593). Perhaps this long stretch of the western bank of Loch Lochy was divided in two even within the Glengarry estate; Glasterbeg being the SW section and Easter Glaster being the present Glas Dhoire.
Fraser-Mackintosh refers to a charter from Glengarry to Lundie presumably c. 1631. The phrase he gives is ‘the half of Davoch of Faichaam, extending to 5 merks of land’. I am not sure if Faichem should be regarded as originally a half-davach or a whole davach. If the latter then it probably included one or more of its neighbouring settlements.